Mrs. Ritchie's Class Page
Welcome to Mrs. Ritchie & Mrs. Hill's Class page!
All About Me
Hello! My name is Jennifer Ritchie, and I was born and live in New Bern, North Carolina. Education runs in my family! Both my parents were teachers in the Craven County School System, and they instilled in me the importance of education, learning, and the love of books. I attended New Bern High School and East Carolina University. This is my 12th year teaching!
Hi! My name is Tonita Hill. I have worked here at Graham A. Barden for the past 20 years. I am one of the two school bus drivers, and I love working with children of all ages! Reading, Arts and Crafts and cooking are some of my favorite hobbies.
7:45-8:15 Arrival/Breakfast/Morning work
8:15-8:45 "ZOOM TIME"
8:45-9:00 Morning Circle/Phonics
9:00-10:10 Guided Reading and Literacy Centers
10:10-10:20 Restroom Break
10:20-10:55 Resource (Art, Music, P.E.)
10:55-11:10 Silent Reading
11:45-12:00 Bathroom Break
12:30-1:15 HAC (Healthy Active Child)/Recess/Snack & Water
1:15-1:45 Math/Number Knowledge
1:45-2:30 Science/Social Studies
2:30-2:40 Pack up and prepare for dismissal
100% of Mrs. Ritchie and Mrs. Hill's students will meet and or exceed the North Carolina standards for Kindergarten.
Our vision is to have a fun and exciting learning environment. 100% of our students will be ready for first grade! :)
Our Class Goals
- Accelerated Reader: Our students will score at least 85% or higher on the reading comprehension questions.
- All students will identify the required Kindergarten sight words by May 2013.
- At least 85% of the students will be at a "D" Reading Level by May 2013.
- At least 85% of the students will be at a "3" Writing Level by May 2013.
Week of November 26th-30th
- Guided Reading: Reading, Writing & Phonics (Centers to include Sticker Writing, Computers, Rainbow Words, Read and Write the Room, Library). We are also continuing with vowel sounds, syllables, compound words, beginning and ending sounds. Please work with your child DAILY on their sight words, letters and sounds.
- Writing: Small moments, journals, practice using spacing, periods, and upper and lowercase letters. We will write about our Thanksgiving break, and we are beginning to learn about Christmas symbols.
- Math: Counting 0-20, Using Math journals to describe what they learned in Math each day, stocking counting, etc.
- Social Studies: Christmas Symbols: decorate our Christmas tree, make stockings, angels, read stories about Christmas, etc. Our field trip to The Accidental Artist is this Friday!
School Phone Number: (252)444-5100
- Please send in a complete change of clothes (shirt, shorts/pants, underwear, socks) to keep in your child's cubby in case of accidents. Be sure to label each item with your child's name.
- Check your child's folder each day and sign the communication/behavior sheet. Remember that it stays in your child's folder all week and Mrs. Hill and I will remove it at the following Monday morning. Any papers in the Keep at Home pocket should be removed daily.
- If your child is sick with a fever, vomiting, etc., he or she MUST be symptom free for 24 hours.
- Please send one healthy snack each day for your child to enjoy during snack time. Some suggestions: granola bars, cheese cubes, grapes, apple slices, raisins, crackers, goldfish, cheese sticks, etc. No candy, juice, or sticky snacks please. We have already aquired some class pets...ANTS!!! ;) Water bottles are wonderful for the children and we suggest the smaller sizes for their little hands.
- Any money that is sent to school with your child MUST be in a SEALED & LABELED envelope. It must have your child's name (first and last), the amount, and what the money is for. If it is breakfast/lunch/ice cream money, please have your child's account number on it. If you have misplaced your child's account number, please let us know and we will give it to you.
- Remember to read with your children every night. It will be a wonderful experience for both of you! :)